“Cheat Codes” for Dads: Your Daughter’s Sense of Security
If you play video games, you know the value of a good “cheat code.” They help the player advance to a new level or gain a special power. Other “cheat codes” help the gamer obtain a special tool or weapon you’ll need in the game.
If you’re a Dad of daughters, you may feel as though you need a “cheat code.” You may want inside information to help you move toward an advanced level of understanding in relation to your daughter. You likely desire a “cheat code” that will provide a gateway to a special power to influence your daughter toward maturity. If so, I have just what you’re looking for: “cheat codes” for dads raising daughters.
Previous “cheat codes” discussed included:
- Spending Time With Your Daughter
- Showing Confidence in Your Daughter’s Ability.
- Giving Healthy Physical Affection
- Acknowledge and Protect Your Daughter’s Beauty
- Shared Rituals
- Your Household Chores
The next “cheat code” involves making your daughter feel secure!
The Cheat Code: A Sense of Security.
Purpose: Giving your daughter A Sense of Security will…
- Increase your daughter’s confidence in the world outside the home.
- Give them the freedom to learn habits promoting happiness and success throughout their life.
- Decrease behavior problems.
Value: Children need a sense of security. Having a sense of security frees children to explore the world around them so they can learn and grow. A sense of security includes a sense of belonging, both of which promote confidence and courage to try new things. A sense of security will also promote positive behaviors in your daughter, decreasing the need for discipline.
Instructions: Practical actions that will give your daughter A Sense of Security involve…
- Investing in your relationship with your daughter’s mother. Your daughter will feel more secure when she knows you and her mother have a secure relationship. Invest in your marriage. Keep it strong.
- If you are divorced, your relationship to your daughter’s mother still matters. Build a positive, congenial relationship with your daughter’s mother. Do not make negative statements about her.
- Whether married or divorced, do not says negative things about your daughter’s mother. Support her in her parenting efforts. Defend her if your daughter says something negative about her. Build a strong relationship for your daughter’s sake.
- Express your affection for your daughter in word and action. Tell her you love her. Compliment her. Show her physical affection.
- When you need to discipline your daughter (and you will), take time to reconnect with her afterwards.
- Develop rituals of connection with your daughter. Spend time with your daughter. Read “Cheat Codes”: Time and “Cheat Codes”: Confidence for more.