Play for a Better Marriage
Play offers innumerable benefits to your marriage. Let me name a few.
- Play allows you to spend time with your spouse and enjoy your spouse’s company. This builds intimacy.
Play can deepen and broaden your marital relationship. It provides a time in which we are absorbed in your marital relationship.
- Play helps to heal any breaches or damage done to your relationship. It helps to repair the quality of your relationship.
- Play facilitates acceptance and openness.
- Play contributes to feelings of acceptance and relational safety. In fact, some would call play the antidote to shame and fear. Play can take away shame and fear and allow you to find greater acceptance and security.
- Play builds trust. Rather than judging motives or assuming negative intent, couples who play together are more likely to give one another the benefit of the doubt and find the humor in mistakes.
- Play can help resolve conflict. Those who play together are more able to admit mistakes and make amends.
- Play builds understanding.
So, take time to play this week. Go out with your spouse and enjoy some fun. Joke around. Play some games. Laugh. Laugh some more. And enjoy the play as it strengthens your marriage!